|Fighting Fantasy Gamebook|
|Cover illustrator:||Terry Oakes|
|First published:||February 26 1987|
|Previous Book:||Creature of Havoc|
|Next Book:||Crypt of the Sorcerer|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
- For other uses of Beneath Nightmare Castle, see Beneath Nightmare Castle (disambiguation)
Beneath Nightmare Castle is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Peter Darvill-Evans, illustrated by Dave Carson and originally published in 1987 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 25th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-032238-8). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Scholastic series.
- 1 Creation
- 2 Background
- 3 Your Character/Combat/Hints on Play
- 4 Cover and Illustrations
- 5 Intertextual References
- 6 Other Media
- 7 Main Characters
- 8 Locations
- 9 Encounters
- 10 Further Notes
- 11 Errors
- 12 Dedication
- 13 See Also
- 14 Reviews
- 15 External Links
- 16 References
Creation[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
“ Creatures from your worst nightmares lie beneath Neuberg Keep!
In this book, you find yourself in Neuburg, once a pleasant town in Khul, but now home to the vile monsters begotten of warped sorcery. An age-old horror has been re-awoken deep beneath the Keep, and it is up to you to face it and free the town and your friend, Baron Tholdur, from evil enchantment. But beware! Deep underground lie hideous traps and terrors, waiting to ensnare you! Will you succeed? Only if you are the resourceful hero you claim to be ...
Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need for this adventure. YOU decide which routes to follow, which dangers to risk and which monsters to fight.
—Beneath Nightmare Castle - Back Cover ("Dragon" Edition)
The book features a blend of the fantasy and horror genres. It also features some particularly disturbing failure references and illustrations.
Your Character/Combat/Hints on Play[edit | edit source]
Unique Rules[edit | edit source]
- In addition to the standard rules, the story includes a willpower score (1d6 plus 6). Like luck, this attribute is tested throughout the book, with a note should the player's willpower score fall below 6. At this point should they be unsuccessful when instructed to Test your willpower they lose their grip on their sanity and lose the game.
- The player also begins the adventure with no Provisions.
Equipment List[edit | edit source]
- Bejewelled gold ring inscribed with a comradely message from Margrave Tholdur.
Cover and Illustrations[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Beneath Nightmare Castle (illustrations)
Covers[edit | edit source]
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by Terry Oakes.
This was the first book to feature the Dragon Cover Format layout that would persist (with some slight variation) till the end of the Puffin series.
|Dragon ver.I||Dragon ver.II||Dragon ver.III||Dragon ver.IV|
Illustrations[edit | edit source]
The interior illustrations were by Dave Carson. There were 28 full page illustrations and 9 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 5, 14, 21, 38, 46, 76, 87, 96, 115, 127, 157, 165, 183, 190, 195, 226, 235, 257, 267, 272, 287, 309, 311, 319, 335, 358, 366 and 389. Additionally a smaller illustration, a map of Neuburg, accompanies paragraph 137.
There was to have been an illustration to accompany paragraph 50 and the description:
“ The young man stands over you, mumbling and hopping from foot to foot, while you release the woman. She, too, has a swollen face, but she manages to smile at you. The man looks worried and tries to hold her, but she pushes him aside and advances to wards you. The young man cowers in a corner and you back away nervously as the woman's smile becomes a grin, and then a yawn, and then her mouth opens wider still — and not one but a hundred writhing tongues spill from between her impossibly wide jaws. ”
—Beneath Nightmare Castle - 50
Advancedfightingfantasy.com reported that during a conversation with Dave Carson:
“ he revealed that his favourite FF illustration was sadly banned from his only FF book Beneath Nightmare Castle. With great delight I am proud to present this exclusive picture featuring a woman with tentacles coming out of her mouth. ”
—Interview with Dave Carson at the Internet Archive record of Advancedfightingfantasy.com - Retrieved 2019-10-26
As stated, the image was banned and it is supposed that this may have been because the imagery would have scared younger readers to a level deemed unacceptable. Nevertheless, the image can now be found below by pressing the "Show" button.
|Unused artwork by Dave Carson|
Intertextual References[edit | edit source]
Other Media[edit | edit source]
Main Characters[edit | edit source]
- Baron Tholdur - Margrave of Neuberg Keep
- Baron Tholdur's Gardener - (Dwarf)
- Bindebol the Gnome - Gnome Page-boy
- Cernic - Priest
- Griltig - Hobgoblin
- Huw - Priest
- Senyakhaz - Sorceress
- Spiked Maiden
- The Southern Star's Innkeeper
- Vlax the Slayer
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Battle Gate
- Bridge Street
- Castle Hill
- East Gate
- Fish Street
- Helm Hill
- Market Square
- Merchants' Quarter
- Neuberg Keep
- New Wall Street
- Old Wall
- River Gate
- Riverside Quarter
- Shivering Lane
- The Southern Star
- Temple of Dolod
- Temple Quarter
- Tower of the Cheetah
- Wastes of Chaos
Encounters[edit | edit source]
- Crate of Limbs
- Giant Spiders
- Humans - Angry Grocer/Gamine Thief/Murderous Urchins/Southern Guard/Southern Swordsman/Spiked Maiden/Swordsmen/Young Man
- Luminous Warrior
- Mottled Kraken
- Mutated Woman
- Orcs Cook/Guard
- Page-Boy Gnome
- Snuff Hound
- Unknown Assailant
- Vitriol Essences
- Zombie Chrabats
Further Notes[edit | edit source]
- Interestingly, the first edition has a picture of the cover of Crypt of the Sorcerer on the inside cover, two months before the book was due to be published.
- This book has a Skeleton with skill 4 stamina 10, which is an unusual stat for a Skeleton.
Errors[edit | edit source]
- (334) misspells "stange properties".
- (278) misspells "Reduce you Initial SKILL".
Dedication[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
Reviews[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Character Sheet - Retrieved 2019-10-26
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org - Retrieved 2019-10-26
- Beneath Nightmare Castle at Gamebooks.org - Retrieved 2019-10-26
- Beneath Nightmare Castle at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com - Retrieved 2019-10-26
References[edit | edit source]
- Beneath Nightmare Castle - pg.16
- Beneath Nightmare Castle - pg.17
- Beneath Nightmare Castle - 70, 164, 398
- Beneath Nightmare Castle - 326
- Beneath Nightmare Castle - pg.5