Sargent's sudden and abrupt departure from the gaming industry in the late Nineties has been the subject of much speculation and curiosity among fans.
He is known to have performed numerous ganzfeld experiments at the University of Cambridge (a photograph of Sargent performing such an experiment appears in the Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience, page 129). His published works in this field include Explaining the Unexplained: Mysteries of the Paranormal, co-authored with Hans Eysenck.
As Carl Sargent
- Firestorm (Puffin, 1994) (with Ian Livingstone)
- Darkthrone (Puffin, 1994) (with Ian Livingstone)
- Skullcrag (Puffin, 1994) (with Ian Livingstone)
- Demonlord (Puffin, 1994) (with Ian Livingstone)
As Keith Martin
- (#34) Stealer of Souls (Puffin, 1988)
- (#38) Vault of the Vampire (Puffin, 1989)
- (#41) Master of Chaos (Puffin, 1990)
- (#46) Tower of Destruction (Puffin, 1991)
- (#51) Island of the Undead (Puffin, 1992)
- (#52) Night Dragon (Puffin, 1993)
- (#54) Legend of Zagor (Puffin, 1994)1
- (#58) Revenge of the Vampire (Puffin, 1995)
- Credited to Ian Livingstone.
Outside of Fighting Fantasy
Sargent has an extensive body of work outside of Fighting Fantasy, and has collaborated with Marc Gascoigne on a number of occasions. Most of Sargent's role-playing works were published between 1987 and 1996. He has authored many products for both the Dungeons & Dragons (particularly for the World of Greyhawk campaign setting), "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay", and FASA's Shadowrun and "Earthdawn" role-playing games (most of the latter in collaboration with Marc Gascoigne). He also authored some Sonic the Hedgehog novels under the collective pseudonym "Martin Adams" (with Gascoigne and James Wallis).
His work for TSR includes:
- "Is There Life Beyond Death?" An article by Carl Sargent and Hans J Eysenck
- Pen & Paper listing for Carl Sargent
- "Psi, Science and the Future." An article by Carl Sargent and Hans J Eysenck
- A Report of a Visit to Carl Sargent's Laboratory
- Wizards of the Coast messageboard thread about Sargent, including an old interview
- A photo of Sargent at an old Society for Psychical Research meeting