|Fighting Fantasy Gamebook|
|Author(s):||Steve Jackson (2)|
|Cover illustrator:||Duncan Smith|
|First published:||September 27 1984|
|Previous Book:||Island of the Lizard King|
|Next Book:||Caverns of the Snow Witch|
|Wizard (Series 1)|
|Wizard (Series 2)|
- For other uses of Scorpion Swamp, see Scorpion Swamp
Scorpion Swamp is a single-player role-playing gamebook written by Steve Jackson (2) (the American game designer, rather than the series co-creator), illustrated by Duncan Smith and originally published in 1984 by Puffin Books. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 8th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-031829-1). There are currently no announced plans to republish this book as part of the Scholastic series.
- 1 Creation
- 2 Background
- 3 How to Fight the Creatures of Scorpion Swamp/Equipment/Magic/Mapping/Hints on Play
- 4 Cover and Illustrations
- 5 Intertextual References
- 6 Other Media
- 7 Main Characters
- 8 Locations
- 9 Encounters
- 10 Further Notes
- 11 Errors
- 12 Dedication
- 13 See Also
- 14 Reviews
- 15 External Links
- 16 References
Creation[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
“ Nightmarish creatures lurk in the slimy depths of Scorpion Swamp!
You're no fool. All your life you've heard tales of Scorpion Swamp and how it is criss-crossed with treacherous paths leading to the haunts of its disgusting denizens. One step out of place spells a certain and lingering death. But now, the swamp holds out the lure of treasure and glory - and you cannot resist the challenge!
Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need to make your journey. YOU decide which way to go, which dangers to risk and which monsters to fight.
—Scorpion Swamp - Back Cover ("Dragon" Edition)
Unlike other Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, Scorpion Swamp allows the player to choose one of three quests — each from a patron who is either Good, Evil or Neutral. The gameplay has a non-linear design, allowing the user to explore the swamp at will and return to locations previously visited, a first for the series.
Quests[edit | edit source]
Players choose from one of the following quests:
Good[edit | edit source]
Evil[edit | edit source]
A group of powerful wizards, known as "Masters", have taken up residence in the swamp. These wizards each bear a magic amulet which is the source of their power. The Evil warlock Grimslade pays the player to retrieve as many of these amulets as possible.
Neutral[edit | edit source]
A local trader by the name of Poomchukker wants to send caravans through the swamp to Willowbend. Doing so would save weeks of travel time, but he needs a map. The player must make his way from the southern side of the swamp to the northern end, and return a map to Poomchukker showing him the route.
How to Fight the Creatures of Scorpion Swamp/Equipment/Magic/Mapping/Hints on Play[edit | edit source]
Unique Rules[edit | edit source]
Equipment List[edit | edit source]
In the course of events in the "Background" the player obtains a Brass Ring which points to true North and becomes warm in the presence of Evil.
Cover and Illustrations[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Scorpion Swamp (illustrations)
The original cover of the book was designed and illustrated by Duncan Smith.
|Dragon ver.I||Dragon ver.II||Dragon ver.III||Dragon ver.IV|
The interior illustrations were by Duncan Smith. There were 32 full page illustrations and 7 minor repeated illustrations scattered throughout the text. The paragraphs with a full page illustration were: 1, 4, 14, 27, 40, 53, 59, 66, 79, 92, 105, 118, 131, 144, 157, 170, 183, 196, 209, 222, 235, 248, 261, 275, 290, 305, 320, 335, 350, 375, 388 and 398.
Intertextual References[edit | edit source]
Other Media[edit | edit source]
Main Characters[edit | edit source]
- Brigand Leader - Brigand
- Brigands - Brigand
- Giant - Giant
- Grimslade - Wizard
- Master of Frogs - Wizard
- Master of Gardens - Wizard
- Master of Spiders - Wizard
- Mistress of Birds - Wizard
- Poomchukker - Merchant
- Ranger - Ranger
- Selator - Wizard
- Thief - Thief
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Foulbrood River
- Halicar Dealer in Potions and Spells
- King's Highway
- Scorpion Swamp
- Tancred's Flying Horse
- The Bent Spear
- The Black Bear
Encounters[edit | edit source]
- Brigand Leader
- Crab Grass
- Dire Beast
- Giant Frogs
- Giant Scorpion
- Giant Spider
- Goblin Statue
- Master of Gardens
- Master of Spiders
- Master of Wolves
- Pool Beast
- Swamp Orcs
- Sword Trees
Further Notes[edit | edit source]
- 20 instant failures, not counting death by stamina loss or bad luck.
- This was the first Fighting Fantasy book to be written by an author other than the two series co-creators.
- The book has three different successful endings and unlike most of the other Fighting Fantasy books the 400th reference does not contain a successful ending to the adventure.
- This is the first Fighting Fantasy gamebook set in the continent of Khul, although this was not made explicit until the release of Titan - The Fighting Fantasy World in 1986.
- In Scorpion Swamp, the Foulbrood River flows west to east. In the map of Khul in Titan - The Fighting Fantasy World, the river flows north-east to south-west.
Errors[edit | edit source]
Dedication[edit | edit source]
Dedicated to my mother —
my first writing coach,
and still the best
With thanks to the play-testers:
Allen Varney, Monica Stephens,
C. Mara Lee, Gerald Swick,
and Jerry Self
See Also[edit | edit source]
Reviews[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Character Sheet - Retrieved 2019-10-26
- Fighting Fantasy at Gamebooks.org - Retrieved 2019-10-26
- Scorpion Swamp at Gamebooks.org - Retrieved 2019-10-26
- Scorpion Swamp at the Internet Archive record of the old Fightingfantasy.com - Retrieved 2019-10-26